April Showers Bring May Flowers……..
Unfortunately showers can also bring severe weather threats such as hail, high winds, tornadoes and lightning. According to the National Weather Service, thunderstorms cause more than $1 billion in property damage each year.
Below are some helpful tips to prevent spring storms from damaging your home:
- Clean out any leaves or debris that may have accumulated in the gutters. Check to make sure the downspout directs water away from the foundation, and add extensions if necessary to keep the water away from your house. It’s also a good plan to install gutter guards. These will protect your gutters from clogging and ensure that water does not accumulate on the roof.
- Replace roof shingles that are cracked or loose. This will help prevent damage from roof leaks.
- Check caulking for decay around doors, windows, corner boards, and joints, and re-caulk where needed. Be sure the seals are tight to improve insulation and prevent water damage.
- Trim your trees and remove dead or loose branches to prevent them from becoming projectiles during a storm.
- When a storm is approaching, be sure to move all patio furniture, trash cans and any other loose items outside – these could also become projectiles.