Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is over, people tend to think about the next major holiday, Christmas! Making your shopping lists and checking it twice… It’s the most wonderful time of the year……..” until something bad happens…..
Let’s say that you have made several trips back to your car to put the shopping bags in the back seat. You discover that your back window is shattered and the gifts are gone! What do you do?
Items in your vehicle are actually not covered on car insurance policies. Car insurance covers damage to your vehicle as long as you purchased comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive covers vandalism, which would include a shattered window or a car door damaged from being pried open.
Christmas presents stolen from your car would actually be covered under your homeowner’s/renters insurance policy. Depending on how much your deductible is would determine whether or not it would be worth it to file a claim.
Here are a few reminders to protect yourself against vandalism especially during the holidays:
- Lock your doors and close your windows—even for quick stops. Many thefts are simple “crimes of opportunity”, such as an unlocked door.
- Don’t leave cell phones, sunglasses, bags or other personal property on the seat or floor of your car. If spotted by a thief, a smash and grab can occur in less than 15 seconds.
- Covering items with a blanket or jacket isn’t a great idea because it might make a thief think you are hiding something expensive.
- Keep purchases in the trunk if possible.
- Park in a well-lit area of the parking lot. If you are at the mall and bringing items back to your car and going back in to do some more shopping, move your car to a different spot. Thieves watch for people to do that. Moving your car is a simple way to elude them.
Our agents are always available to answer any questions you may have, suggest coverage options, and assist you in comparing quotes and policies from a variety of insurance companies. We are adept in identifying your insurance needs and finding all of the available discounts, enabling you to choose a policy that meets your needs and budget.
Posted in: annapolis insurance agency, auto insurance, community, henry murray insurance annapolis