Summer is just around the corner and soon millions of pools around the country will be filled with fun and laughter. With that fun comes risks of injury and far too many deaths occur in staggering numbers each year. Tragically well over 200 young children drown in backyard pools and spas every year. Whether you’re a homeowner or commercial property owner (Apartments, Condo’s, Hotels, Rentals, etc.) with a pool you need to be aware of the risk and ways to help control them the best you can.
Here are some tips to consider to help ensure proper pool safety at your residence or commercial property:
- Perform routine inspections and maintenance of the pool, it’s mechanicals (pumps, heaters, etc.) and its fencing/gates/locks, etc.
- Your pool should be completely fence with at least a 4 feet or higher barrier with self-closing and locking gates.
- Never leave a child unattended in or near the water and have a designated responsible person to watch over when people are in the pool. Never let anyone swim alone, have a buddy system.
- If possible, ensure everyone knows how to swim and enforce rules such as no diving or running. A child can drown in less than 30 seconds!
- Maintain regular checks of the pool chemicals to be sure they are in the safe and effective ranges.
- Know how to perform CPR on children and adults, and have life safety devices near the pool and easily accessible.
- If applicable, repaint depth marking around the pool so swimmers know the shallow and deep ends.Please also take a few minutes to watch this Pool Safely PSA video from PoolSafely.gov, as well as the many others available.
With regular inspections, maintenance and enforcing strict rules, you can help prevent accidents and help insure that everyone has some fun in the sun!!
Posted in: Uncategorized